- Skywalker EPO with reinforced wings
- Brushless motor 3542/6T 920 kv
- ESC 80A 3-6S Professional S-BEC 3A
- Hyperion 4S 4000 mAh
- x4 HS-65HB servos
- Gopro Hero HD
- 1,3 gHz 300 mW video tx with inverted v antenna (powered by a 3S 500 mAh Lipo)
- 1,3 gHz video rx with 8dBi patch antenna
- FY30-A stabilization system
- DT-3K head tracker (x2 HS-65HB servos)
- Fatshark base goggles
The first cut was done today and it felt great! As you can see I did cut out the ailerons first.
Have you ever read articles or even seen videos on RC-pilots snapping their Skywalker wings of in mid-air? I have, and something has to be done in order to prevent it. I bought 6×1 mm carbon strips and mounted two 350 mm long ones in each wing. Now the carbon fibre reaches almost the tip of the wing. If the wing breaks now I better find a new hobby;-)
Carbon strips glued in.
I bought the Turnigy servo tester recently and already I found a use for it:-) To find the neutral position of the servos was as easy as it could be.
Test mount of one of the HS-65HB servos. Notice that I’ve cut out for the servo arm.
I cover the servo with tape so that I doesn’t have to glue directly to it.
Aileron servo glued in place.
Plastic control horn in place.
Rudder was cut out. A key for successful FPV-flights is to get rid of the vibrations caused by weak materials. Therefore I choosed to reinforce the rudder section as well. Once again I used 6x1x150 mm carbon strips (one in each half).
The carbon strip of the tail section is now glued in place.
This might not be the most interesting picture. I just wanna show you that I cut out some material for the servo cables.
Rudder and elevator servos are glued in place and I used hot glue to attach the servo cables/connectors to the EPP.
It ended up quite good I think since I found a way to the cockpit:-)
This is as far as I could get this weekend. The last thing I did was to glue in the carbon fibre rod (included) to the tail section.
A good and easy way to fix the wings is to use rare earth magnets. It’s a bit difficult to see on the picture but there is one on each side of the wing.
I routed two motor mounts (the one in wood is original). The ones I did are slightly larger. They are made out of 2 mm aluminium.
I think the elevator rudder is ways to wide and thin to be unsupported by a carbon fibre strip. Therefore I bought a 3×1 mm strip that I used to strenghten it up.
Here is a close up on the elevator mod.
The original elevator rudder hinge felt fragile and therefore I cut it out and glued three dubro hinges instead.
Here is a close look at one of the glued dubro hinges.
Here is how my motor mount will work. I think this will make it really strong (I really don’t like the idea of just attaching the motor mount with glue).
Cargo door open. This plane is huge!:-)
Here is my own soultion for the EZOSD. I haven’t seen it anywhere else before. By mounting it like this I can use all three buttons and the gps module will have almost free sight. I hope this will work:-)
I have a cable for my Iphone so that I can find my model when I’ve crashed… But since the 1,3 GHz doesn’t support both telemetry and audio at the same time I had to move the audio cable from the fourth to fifth terminal.
Wohoo! I’ve waited a long time for this!
The last thing I did tonight was to mount the plastic control horn to the elevator rudder.