The images below will be the last build photos of my Skywalker. I’m finally done with the build.
Rudder and elevator servos glued in place.
Plastic control horn mounted and the push rod is in place. You’re really on your way when you see the rudders move.
I found some servo extension cables in my box with mixed RC things and those two seems to be perfect for the aileron servos.
I wanna be able to replace the cable if the connection gets bad and therefore I just covered it with white tape. It’s not super pretty but it works.
The cut out part is for the servo extension cable from the aileron.
Hot glue is perfect for this job. This picture shows the glued aileron extension cable.
All servos and cables are plugged into the reciever and now the fun part begins. Here I’m setting up the FY30-A stabilization system.
This is where I’ll place the reciever. I used a tooth pick to make holes for the two reciever antennas.
Velcro is awesome! No doubt about it.
I found these thick double sided tapes in the FY30-A box and I thought it might be a good idea to place them in the vibration absorbing plate.
The reciever and FY30-A mounted in place. Try to place the stabilization unit as close as possible to the center of gravity since this will increase stability.
The Skywalker is a huge plane. I’ve mounted the FY30-A and my reciever and there are much room left for the rest of the electronics:)
I wanna keep the cargo of my plane as clean as possible. I don’t like when there are cables all over the place and when everything looks more or less like a mess. I couldn’t find a better place to mount the current sensor for the EZOSD than in the ceiling of the cargo space. Velcro FTW!
One thing that I really like about the Skywalker is that is has a defined place to mount the video transmitter.
Do I need to mention it? Velcro again:) I might use a zip tie to secure the video tx even better. Notice the white tape to support the video cables.
I used two dubro hinges/cargo door.
EZOSD in place and the rubber band anchors are glued. I’m getting closer now.
Due to my placement of the EZOSD I had to cut out an opening for the cables in the original cockpit.
I’ve made two of these cargo door locks (one for each side) in 5 mm balsa tree. The cut out part in the middle is for a magnet.
Magnet is now glued in place. This is the side that will facing towards the inner part of the cargo space.
Nothing special here. I just glued the included piece of wood on the cockpit.
Cargo door magnet. I used a soldering iron to melt a hole for it.
Cargo door stoppers glued in place. I use a glue that needs a lot of hours to harden and therefore I use a lot of tape:) Notice that the magnet are ”hidden” inside of the balsa tree.
The original cockpit of the Skywalker has a hole in it where you’re supposed to mount a pan servo I think … I’ll not use a pan servo with this cockpit and I since I wanna place the Gopro Hero HD cam as far to the nose as possible I had to drill a hole in it to support the double sided tape. Almost 40-50% of the Gopro mount will be placed over the hole in the cockpit and I don’t wanna lose my camera:)
This is how it looks now. I think the camera and the cockpit will be the only things that will stay in place after a crash:)
This is the underside of the Gopro mount. I used 5 mm balsa and some washers to support the lock nut.
Tata! The camera is in place and now it’s just the long wait for first premiere flight. I’m so looking forward to this.